taxonomy tagged posts

The export of the Taxonomy in SharePoint 2010 is something quite painful. In the web we can find a lot of tools, posts, suggestions, advice but – since today – I didn’t find something that really worked for me.

So, finally, I had a request from a client quite simple:

  • I want to see all may taxonomy in an Excel file, in order that the Businesses can read it easily
  • I want to export my taxonomy for my new production farm and I want that the restore is completely transparent. (meaning: I want my ID back!)

and I have decided to build my own project.
Let’s be honest…I didn’t discover the moon, but I got what I was looking for and-  if you like it – you will be able to download it from CodePlex at this address: https://sptaxonomyexport.codeplex.com/

The tool is a CMD program line (with some fr...

Read More

SharePoint 2010: OrderBy CAML query in SPSiteDataQuery for Taxonomy Fields

Category: #SharePoint Comments: No comments

It’s a while I’m not writing anything in this blog; a lot of stuff to do and a lot of projects went in production.

Today I found a real strange issue and it took me sometime to debug it.
SPSiteDataQuery is a useful object that allows you to search recursively in a web all the items you want.

The properties of this object are the classic ones of the SPQuery.
In my case I wanted to filter for Taxonomy field and sort my items based on the same items.
Till here no problem at all…

I had a site collection with this web part already deployed and working fine; in a new site collection, the same web part didn’t work. After a lot of unit tests I have discovered that if your Taxonomy field is multivalue your Query will return always 0 records...

Read More

The managed metadata of SharePoint 2010 is one of the best new feauture in SharePoint 2010. You can manage taxonomy field directly in the Central Administration and even manage several languages with the language pack over there.

By the way, in some Site Collection template you’ll not find this feature and you’ll have the following behavior trying to create a new Taxonomy field.

This feature is hidden and yo have it in your Site Collection you must activate it by Powershell.

Enable-SPFeature -id "73ef14b1-13a9-416b-a9b5-ececa2b0604c" -Url <Site-Url>
Read More